RE: BELVI QUEEN (grasshoppers!)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: BELVI QUEEN (grasshoppers!)
  • From: Ellen Gallagher ellengalla@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:03:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net> wrote:

>>> Just another example of 'hopper damage. (snip) After that
most anything is chewable - window screens, mortar, woody
growth, dead debris.  (snip) A mature grasshopper and completely
eliminate a 3-4 inch seedling in a couple of hours time. <<<

Donald, we have different grasshoppers here for sure. Do you
have a terrier that was bred for vermin work? Terriers are fast
and efficient in their work with the smaller terriers being the
best for this kind of job.

My Cairn terrier was with me in the garden and a grasshopper
landed in front of him and he ate it one gulp. I rewarded him
with a treat thinking of the devastation you endure from your
grasshoppers. Cairns are one of the best vermin/insect busters.
My Riley beats out my cat for field mice (which he promptly
brings in the kitchen for a reward). Ugh.

Just a thought if nothing else has worked. Terriers are great
companion/house dogs even if he/she is a flop at killing your
'hoppers and Cairns are so adorable. :-)

....your 'hoppers eat windowscreens....yikes!

Ellen / NH / Zone 3

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/2gGylB/TM