Re: CINNAMON STICK

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CINNAMON STICK
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:54:54 -0500

Hello Francelle,

How do you try to control them, dust, spray, systematic insecticide?

This year I used Power Force mfgd. by Bayer.  It killed and left a residual effect that continued for 7-10 days.  In addition, I sprinkled NoLo Bait around and will do some more before fall.  I'm not happy about using the Bayer spray.  It kills a number of beneficial insects as well as the grasshoppers.  Praying Mantis and ladybugs both took a hit using it.  I didn't use it everywhere.  Mainly I tried to control them on the seedlings and the spurias, but early on when they were at their worst I used it on everything once.  After that I hoped it would get more in balance.  It did.  I know the plants look bad, but what you see is normal every year here.  It's a credit to the inherent toughness of iris that they will come back and bloom next spring.  I'm sure the bloom would be even better if they didn't have to suffer through our summer months - provided we could skip the fractious spring weather.  Sometimes we luck out in the spring, but summer is almost a sure thing.

Donald

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here