[PHOTO] frying eggs | Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:53:25" />

[PHOTO] frying eggs

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] frying eggs
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:49:18 -0500

There's a saying in Texas when it gets realy hot that you 'can fry an egg on
the sidewalk'.  All too true, I'm afraid.  In the photo are 1/2" wide strips
of extruded clear PVC that I collect out of the trash bins from work and use
as temporary plant markers.  Usually they mark a pot of seeds from a cross
or I use them when I pot new plants in pots when they arrive in the heat of
summer.  The top three were in use, the bottom is how a strip looks before
it is used.  They are replaced with more permanent markers in the case of
acquired cultivars, but may be used for a while on seedling crosses.  The
one at the top I replaced with a permanent marker and simply left it on top
of the ground.  I found it yesterday.  The effects of our summer heat have
taken their toll.  The second one was in use by a seedling.  It melted over
at ground level.  The seedling did too.  The third from the top was still in
a pot kept completely in the shade and thus had protection from the direct
sun.  I guess the wonder is that any seedlings are still alive.  The sad
thing is the beds these came from only get direct morning sun up until
around 12-1 pm after which the shade from oak trees protects them.  I have
beds with iris that get sun all day.  I knew they got hot, but perhaps
haven't realized just how hot the surface temps may reach.  No wonder I have
some cooked from time to time.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 8, USA