Re: Bleach water

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Bleach water
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:19:05 -0700

On Aug 24, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Harold Peters wrote:

> To all on bleach thread.
>
> According to two knowledgeable sources, sodium hypochlorite is not
> that effective a bacteriaicide. This info was from Gigi Hall, a very
> knowledgeable irisarian.

Not according to the EPA and multiple other accredited sources.

I know Gigi and while she knows a lot about irises, in the ten years or
so that she was active in my club (until she droped out of irisdom),
she always promoted bleach as an effective bactericide on irises. For
years the EPA and medical professions have used  sodium hypochlorite as
a sanitizing agent. It is the primary chemical used in sanitizing
swimming pools.

>  The only proven effectiveness is on mustard seed fungus at 0.5%
> hypochlorite for 20 to 30 minutes.

The current documentation on the UC Davis website does not mention
bleach as an effective agent against mustard seed fungus, nor does any
other agricultural school that I can find.  tThey do mention that hot
water may be effective as well as the bromide and Terraclor (PCNB))

Never have I heard Gigi mention bleach as being effective against crown
rot (mustard seed fungus).

> The second knowledgeable source was a University of California - Davis
> professor on a locally produced TV garden program. His comment about
> the recommendation to dip pruning tools between cuts that the only
> effect was going to be a rapidly corroded pruner.

I can't speak to this, but it certainly flies in the face of
recommendations by many other studies.

> My shipping permit requires me to hypochlorite dip treat rhizomes
> before shipping so I do a lot of dipping.

If it is so ineffective, why do they require it of you? (rhetorical
question)

All this is not to say that new information does not invalidate
previously held beliefs, but in this case,  there certainly have not
been a plethora of studies substantiating new information, quite the
contrary.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society