Re: Bleach water

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Bleach water
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:04:41 -0700

On Aug 24, 2004, at 2:52 AM, Patrick Orr wrote:

> Even though you may have used a strong solution in the past with no
> ill effects on your rhizomes (that you know of), that doesn't mean
> that you won't one day have ill effects.

Well that is certainly true, but that can be said about almost
everything. I can say that I have varieties that I have had for 15
years and have noticed no problems. However, my anecdotal experience is
no better than anyone elses. Even the experience of the many irisarians
that have been using 10% or greated concentrations for years with no
ill effects has little value as definitive information.

Use what works for you remembering that everyone's environment is

> I believe bleaching may be a contributor to pineappling, being that it
> is so caustic. Since going to 5%, my pineappling had dropped
> drastically, which may or may not be the reason.

Pineappling is thought by plant biologists to be caused by damage to
the meristem. Witches' Broom on pine trees being a good example.
Chemical damage is a possibility, but considering how much bleach is
used by so many, if there were a connection, one would expect a much
greater occurrence of pineappling. I have always attributed it to
weather (at least here) because it happens most often when we have an
unusual winter, and it happens with no greater frequency in first year
clumps as others. But once again it is just anecdotal evidence. Go with
what you feel works.