RE: Bleach water

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Bleach water
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:28:46 -0700

To all on bleach thread.
According to two knowledgeable sources, sodium hypochlorite is not that effective a bacteriaicide. The only proven effectiveness is on mustard seed fungus at 0.5% hypochlorite for 20 to 30 minutes. This info was from Gigi Hall, a very knowledgeable irisarian. The second knowledgeable source was a University of California - Davis professor on a locally produced TV garden program. His comment about the recommendation to dip pruning tools between cuts that the only effect was going to be a rapidly corroded pruner.
My shipping permit requires me to hypochlorite dip treat rhizomes before shipping so I do a lot of dipping. Since there is no official "dipping" protocol, my dip solution starts around 0.5% hypochlorite (same as 9 or 10 to 1 dilution of household bleach) but decays as I use the solution until I guess the hypochlorite is almost used up. I use 10% hypochlorite swimming pool chlorine because it is cheaper. A individual batch stays  in the 5 gallon bucket anywhere from 1 minute to 1 day when I forget the last batch. Desired time is 10 to 15 minutes. There is a noticeable effect on the appearance of the hypochlorite dipped rhizome, it looks cleaner. I think the procedure is a good marketing tool. The one disadvantage is the drying time.
Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762