RE: 'Desert Canyon' [was: ID on this one too?]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: 'Desert Canyon' [was: ID on this one too?]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:11:57 -0400

Pearl and Anna, I doubt what either or both of you have is Mary Tharp's "Desert Canyon.'  Few of her varieties circulated widely in the U.S., although the inclusion of its photo in the HIPS "Quick Fix" list does suggest the cv made it out of southwestern Idaho.
The photos suggest a rather different character between the two blossoms.
'Desert Canyon' is a "Joyce Terry" type yellow with white fall bordered yellow, plus a light violet anthocyanin.  The resulting colors are light brown standards, lavender or light violet falls bordered narrowly with the color of the standards; hafts are yellowish tan with strong light brown markings.
Anna's unknown ("NOID") does not have the "Joyce Terry" pattern if I can trust my visual memory.  My computer won't let me open a second copy of "Outlook Express" so that I can take a look at it again until after I have sent this message and closed this window.  I will double check the comparison and if wrong will post again shortly.
What I remember of the "ID on this one too?" is that it has a fall overlay of light brown, with standards considerably more yellow.  I don't believe the two match.
Neil Mogensen  now in z  7  western NC mountains  -- but I grew up five miles from Mary Tharp's garden in Idaho and visited there countless times back when 'Desert Canyon' was still a rather new variety.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links