Re: Bleach water

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Bleach water
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <irisdude@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:52:29 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:52:29 -0700

I could care less about the cost of the bleach, believe me!  When you pay up to $50 per rhizome, a bottle of bleach is nothing.
Even though you may have used a strong solution in the past with no ill effects on your rhizomes (that you know of), that doesn't mean that you won't one day have ill effects. I believe bleaching may be a contributor to pineappling, being that it is so caustic. Since going to 5%, my pineappling had dropped drastically, which may or may not be the reason.
However, the main reason is that 5% is all that is needed. Very little bleach is necessary and it goes a long way toward killing germs.  Matter of fact, for sanitizing dishes, you only need just a teaspoon of bleach per sink-full of water.
As far as the time of the soak is concerned, a timer set for 30 minutes tells me when they are done.  That is just about the right amount of time for this percentage for me.  It may be different for others, but I like it when the rhizome achieves that clean look.
I don't know if hardness of the water would make a difference, for my water is very soft being that it goes through a filter. Harder water may require more % of bleach, I do not know for sure.  However, for me, anything more than 5% is overkill really.
My best advice, try it on a few rhizomes and see what you think.  I have tried it and have liked it, which is why I remain with it.  Since getting into irises, I have found that many of the things that have been relayed to me as fact have been quite wrong, so I keep an open mind and I try it for myself.  (One of the things I was told as fact is that you cannot grow SDB's in the desert!  Well, I have tried it and found that to be wrong.  Matter of fact, they rebloom here too!)
Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9