Re: Bleach water

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Bleach water
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:06:25 -0700

If you are using Clorox as your bleach, be aware that several years ago
the manufacturer cut the amount of the active chlorine ingredient by
50% and added some other oxygenator.

So you should be doubling what you use to use. I have used up to 50%
solutions as a presoak and full strength on a rz in the ground that had
rot and never had any problems with the rz reacting negatively to the
bleach. I have no confidence in the 5% solutions. Why take a chance
just to save a few pennies.

John

On Aug 22, 2004, at 12:46 PM, Patrick Orr wrote:

> 20 parts water to 1 part bleach soak for a half hour works well too,
> and is less caustic.  I used to do 10 percent bleach, but after a
> friend turned me on to a 5 percent 30 minute soak, I am sticking with
> that.
>
> Patrick Orr
> Phoenix, AZ Zone 9
> USA