Re: Bleach water

In a message dated 8/22/2004 2:49:36 PM Central Daylight Time, irisdude@msn.com writes:

20 parts water to 1 part bleach soak for a half hour works well too, and is less caustic.  I used to do 10 percent bleach, but after a friend turned me on to a 5 percent 30 minute soak, I am sticking with that.

I'm more in concert with this concentration.  Bein' a little on both the lazy and forgetful side I do harbor some fear of soakin' the rhizomes. Likely I would wind up soakin' 'em for days or months on occasion (I have done so).

The bleach solution can only act as a contact killer of bacteria, meanin' it's got to touch 'em. To this end, soakin' allows the liquid to penetrate areas in the foliage folds that might not receive treatment otherwise. Particularly if the soakin' rhizomes are "flopped" and "swished" a couple of times during the soak period to eliminate trapped air pockets.

Me? I keep a "Windex", hand spray pump, bottle filled with 10% bleach, proper concentration of Daconil (contact fungicide), proper concentration of Orthene systemic insecticide, and Heritage (systemic fungicide) when I have it. I now mist incoming plants just before planting and outgoing plants just before shippin'.

Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links