Re: Protected Mail System

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Protected Mail System
  • From: "Neil Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:36:35 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Peters" <harold@d...>
wrote:
"One minor correction to Neil's  information. Antivirus software is
needed...."

Harold, you are quite right.  I thought of mentioning that need, but
the main point of my message had to do with the Gormleys--and to vent
some steam.

The Norton/Symantec "Internet Security" package does include the Anti-
virus program.  I already had it as part of Norton "System Works,"
but I think, or hope, installing the IS package wrote over the older
program.

In any event, updating my software is almost a daily event occurring
automatically.  I recall one day when *three* new anti-virus
definitions sets arrived from Symantec.

If anyone is interested, there is a parallel McAfee suite that is
competative.  I haven't kept up on PC information for the past three
years--I've been otherwise occupied--so have no idea how the major
competitors fare.

>From what I've gleaned in just glancing at info, no one program is
perfect.  There are some things that can slip through no matter
*what* protective gear one has loaded.

In addition, the spammers and saboteurs are constantly upgrading
their own attack systems to get around whatever defenses these
companies put out.

Whatever programs a person, home office or business installs, it is
vitally important they be kept current--even daily--to stay
effective.  If the vendor offers an automatic update feature, use it!

Neil Mogensen   z 7 western NC mountains