Re: OT: Javelinas

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT: Javelinas
  • From: Janet LaClair <moonkusser94@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 07:35:58 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks very much for the info Francelle.  It's great to hear the trails and tribulations of other gardeners.
janet

FRANCELLE EDWARDS <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

I tried to send these pictures three days ago, but got them returned by Yahoo.  It took me two days to get reinstated, but I?m thankful that I finally made it.

Some people expressed an interest in javelinas after I mentioned them last week.  They are peccaries, not wild pigs.  During my lifetime, they have migrated up out of Mexico and are now common in the wild parts of Arizona.  A lot of people are afraid of them, and I had heard horror stories about how dangerous they are.  One of our sons, who is a hunter, strongly disagrees, and since we have them  come by the cabin frequently, I have observed that they are not at all aggressive.  I?m not even sure that they eat irises, but a herd of them tearing through a garden doesn?t do it any good.

A few years ago, I surprised a herd of javelinas on the back side of a big clump of Spanish dagger.  In their midst were two pink, kitten-sized babies.  I was afraid that they might be protective of their young, so I backed off quickly.  They just ran into the brush on the adjacent lot.  They have never shown any hostility.  Marvin took these pictures at close range in November a couple of years ago.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=Javelinas.jpg

> ATTACHMENT part 3 image/jpeg name=Javelina by juniper tree.jpg

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links