RE: Re: More of the new planting at the cabin

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Re: More of the new planting at the cabin
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:34:09 -0700

Armadillo is one pest we don’t have.  Javelinas make up for it though.  I’m sorry about your seedlings.  At our cabin fences are a necessity if one wants to grow anything but scrub oak and agaves.  Deer are the worst to eat everything.

We do love our view.  It encompasses about 200°, Granite Mt., San Francisco Peaks, Chino Valley, downtown Prescott and the SE mountains you see in the picture.  Yes, the wind blows to some extent most of the time.  In the summer, we welcome the cooling breezes.  Fall, winter and spring we can get gales up to 80 mph.  I hate wind, but it doesn’t seem to bother irises.

The TB seedlings are in the back row by the fence.  The front row is the Tasco’s spectacular IB, Bold Statement.  IBs grow well in the valley, but don’t get enough winter chill to bloom there.  I’m looking forward to see that garden blooming.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9