Re: [iris] Re: REB: climate (was reverse stripes on iris-photos

  • Subject: Re: [iris] Re: REB: climate (was reverse stripes on iris-photos
  • From: Char Randall <charandmike@juno.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:25:58 -0600

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:49:35 -0400 Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
writes:
> I see a bit of rebloom> during the hot summer, but things don't really
pick up until we get
> cooler nights and drier temps.  It seems like a cool night (below
> 60oF)> in August will usually result in bloom a month to 6 weeks later,

> but that just my impression (no data).
>
> I asked Mike about night time air and soil temperatures,
> And I don't think Mike knew what soil temperatures are.  Or maybe......

Linda, sounds like an interesting thread on another list but the subject
line indicates it might be difficult to try to follow now! I'd like to
add a few thoughts for consideration. I think "dry" is the key. Rebloom
here for me seems to follow the dry and slow growth cycle of the hot
summer, followed by a thundershower or a deep, slow flood irrigation
watering. Like many desert plants, I think my iris have shut down active
growth and are at a "maintain" level, not dormant tho, and then the rain
or irrigation triggers the regrowth and rebloom cycle. Kind of like lilac
or some bulbs needing winter cool to trigger spring bloom?  Who
knows....maybe its the shock value of the lightening and thunder!!!  Do
you know what kind of supplemental watering Mike uses? and how often?
Whatever the cycle is, and what starts it is interesting isn't it?

BTW Golden Immortal has three really fine bloom stalks and pretty flowers
shining outside in full sun in triple digit heat! The blooms are holding
up very well for these temps. Is this TB fertile?

Char Randall
Melba, Idaho
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!