[iris] Re: REB: climate (was reverse stripes on iris-photos

  • Subject: [iris] Re: REB: climate (was reverse stripes on iris-photos
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:49:35 -0400

Thanks for posting this Bill.  I've wondered about the same thing.  Mike
says that the only time they see less rebloom is when the humidity is
high, which (ugh) is always the case here.  I see a bit of rebloom
during the hot summer, but things don't really pick up until we get
cooler nights and drier temps.  It seems like a cool night (below 60oF)
in August will usually result in bloom a month to 6 weeks later, but
that just my impression (no data).

Then there are things like BELVI QUEEN and SIGN OF LEO, blooming now on
the hottest day of the year so far.  As long as they get plenty of rain,
they bloom here no matter how hot and humid it gets.  I DO is also
blooming now, and I won't be surprised if IMMORTALITY sends up a stalk.

I think it was Lloyd Zurbrigg who posted something here several years
ago about night time respiration being the limiting factor for some of
the cooler climate adapted dwarf species in the south.  They can't fix
enough carbon during daytime photosynthesis to stay ahead of night time
respiration, so starve to death.

Didn't somebody here suggest that rebloom genes most likely come from
dwarf iris?

I asked Mike about night time air and soil temperatures, and as I
recall, air temperatures aren't much/any cooler than our nights when
it's hot out.  So maybe that isn't a factor in rebloom differences.  But
night time temperatures here are limited by dew point being so high, so
I still wonder if that might not be a factor. And I don't think Mike
knew what soil temperatures are.  Or maybe......

I keep wondering if mulch or afternoon shade would help keep soil
temperatures cooler and help with rebloom, but maybe that wouldn't make
any difference.

Just thinking out loud... I hope you keep trying to figure this out,
Bill.

Bill Burleson said:
<A couple of years back, I became curious about rebloom in your area of
California and the rebloom I experience here. Mostly because you
consistently posted rebloom occurance and our temps were not vastly
different.

At that time, I began collection weather info for Porterville, CA and
comparing it to the weather data here in the secret center of the iris
universe.
Among the many folks posting here, you are most consistent in reporting
rebloom. . Your mean annual temperture in Porterville is 65.83 degrees
while mine is  61.83 degrees. So, yes you are hotter...... >

                   --
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8