OT: transplanting plants (was Bleach water)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] OT: transplanting plants (was Bleach water)
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <irisdude@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:37:03 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:37:03 -0700

Hi Donald,
I did that once with an herb I got from a friend's mother, called Herbe Buena (spelling?)  Roughly translated, it means GOOD HERB.  I didn't know it at the time but it was actually spearmint. Since I had never grown mint before, I did not realize just how invasive mint is.  It grew out of the herb bed right into the flower bed, and under the border into the grass area, and on past the herbs into the irises.  Matter of fact, an entire mass of it grew around the pot housing that "wild artichoke" I wrote about.
Other than that, I haven't had any invasive plants.
The wild grape vines grew up the mulberry tree above them, which was perfectly fine with me.  It was kind of neat really.  We had wild grapes hanging out of the tree and the birds loved it.
Incidentally, I should stipulate this was prior to the time that I knew that you were not supposed to remove or transplant plants from a national forest preserve or the desert.
Donald Eaves wrote:

Good story.  I always worry that when I dig (or scatter seeds) a
native plant and move it into the flowerbed that I'm going to end up
with something that takes over and is uncontrollable.  So far, that
hasn't happened.  Some aren't even any happier than domesticated
cultivars after the move, but some have been highly rewarding and
given me a lot of pleasure.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links