Re: Puss Moth Caterpillar

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Puss Moth Caterpillar
  • From: Cathy <kittencampi@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:10:20 -0700

willwarner@alltel.net wrote:
Got quite the surprise when I was digging up Siberian iris today.  I
was digging up clumps from some seedlings that needed moved,
reached down to pick up the clump after digging and my arm lit up with
this intense pain.  I thought at first that maybe there was stinging nettle,
or a wasp nest down in the foliage.  All I could find was this small
caterpillar.  Well, after a few searches for "stinging caterpillar."  I found
out that's what had got me.  It's called a Puss Moth Caterpillar.  They are
about 3/4-1" long and about 1/2" wide.  They are really fuzzy and
resemble a pussy willow, or a spider nest.
pretty little thing, almost wants to make you pet it.
The pain was intense, as bad
as a red wasp or yellow jacket, the pain went up my arm and into my
chest.  I immediately look some benedryl, as I have fairly bad allergic
a paste of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer works quick miracles on wasp stings. The enzymes used to break down the meat are very effective in breaking down the poisons. We never leave home without it around here.

Michael M.
  I never knew caterpillars could sting like that until now.  I
read up on treatment, and it recommended using tape on the area the
caterpillar came in contact with, the tape pulls out the tiny spines.  Then
use toothpaste on the area, it breaks down the amino acids in the
venom. Here's a link with more info.
You might have to copy/paste that link, since it's so long.
Thought I'd warn those who are unaware of these nasty little things,
especially since I found a couple in my siberians and glads.
Watch out!
Will Warner

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here