Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:42:01 -0400

Pat commented in her response to Linda and my assurance to her that what she
had wasn't the authentic Chili Pepper.  She said, among other very good
things, "I still say this forum needs a section for nothing but noids.  I
agree, the iris the woman sent, is a beauty."

I think this is an extraordinarly good idea.  Helping keep nomenclature
clean and correct is part of what motivated the formation of AIS in the
first place, unless I misread the history of the society.  Getting that
first Check List (1929, soon upgraded and replaced by the comprehensive
1939) was a very difficult project, one that has been a gold mine of
information about early varieties, despite the confusion reflected over
names--consuming a substantial part of the paper and ink involved in the
1939's publication.

Good, high quality digital .jpg files, particularly ones showing rhizome,
fan base (PBF issues in part), the appearance of the NOID under different
lighting conditons or from more than one garden (!) might be quite helpful
in at least narrowing the search.

There are several of us in the society who actively grew, lived with night
and day, and loved many of the great old historics--Phil Edinger probably
the most knowledgeable of us all, but Keith Keppel and Joe Ghio are others,
several of the California and Virginia folk who are senior members of the
society and so on.  Sadly for such a website, some of those who could have
been the most help have gone on to the greater Garden that awaits us.

I do have some familiarity with many family lines, have eaten pedigrees for
breakfast most of my life, so to speak, and grew a lot of the great old
timers that at the time were state-of-the-art in the late '40s through the
early 60's.  Many of those reached back into early history--like Purissima,
No-We-Ta, San Francisco and Los Angeles, Happy Days, Missouri, Chivalry,
early Hall seedlings dating from 1944 or so, many of Sass family products,
on and on.  With many varieties I got so I recognized many from their plant
habits, foliage character and such when they weren't even in bloom.  Two of
my all time favorites were Louvois and Shah Jehan.  I never liked
Extravaganza as much--something about the jewel-like colors of Shah caught
my attention and I found it irresitabley beautiful.

I can't do that recognition as well any more...not only have I "faded," but
other issues intrude and take priority for good reason rather often.

Even so, I would gladly be of help with such a website, as I am sure several
of those I've named-- perhaps the Lowe's, if they are not totally up to
their eyeballs in the upcoming changes to the work of the Registrar with a
shift to electronic plus paper Registry of the iris...at least so I hear by
the grapevine, then there are Clarance Mahan and more--might be delighted to
be of help.

Robert Pries' work toward getting a photo library of cultivars seems like a
monumental task, but is even now under way, I believe.

The computer age has given us incredible new tools with which to work on
iris identity issues.  A NOID-oriented web site or group such as this group
would be a tremendous asset in my opinion.

Pat, you have just set something in motion, I suspect, sonething of enormous
potential.  Thank you!

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links