RE: TB: Edith Wolford

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: TB: Edith Wolford
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:14:25 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:14:25 -0500

After reading the latest round of Edith bashing, I took a flashlight and went to look.  My first Edith was obviously misnamed and I didn't get her for real until May 2004 at The Iris Farm (southern Illinois), where she looked totally happy.  My one rhizome gave me two bloomstalks this May, and I currently have 5 large fans and 2 small ones.
Could it be my 5 large will try to rebloom too late and kill themselves this winter?
Maybe the answer is to move her really early, or get rhizomes from flourishing, acclimated stock?
Also, she's growing in soil which has had so much old compost added over several years, that weeds readily pull right out.  Anyway, I'm glad I got 4 pods on her this year, trying to get more blue in the falls and, of course, reliable rebloom (best chance with Mariposa Skies). Will watch for signs of late stalks and keep a winter reservation open in the sunroom!
Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5.