Re: Central Iris Database

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Central Iris Database
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:11:02 -0700 (PDT)

Presently the American Iris Society publishes a number
of descriptive checklists. But a massive image databse
of the 70,000 cultivars has yet to be created.
Already two groups have created illustrated checklists
and it is only a matter of time and energy before all
Irises will have image databases. Check out the Aril
Society international. The Dwarf Iris Society is
working on an illustrated checklist and so is the
Median iris Society. Thes Spuria Society has one in
print but is very hard to come by since it is printed
a few copies at a time.  Check out the SIGNA species
database. Jonathon if you would like to work on such a
project volunteers are always welcome.

--- Jonathan <jfew@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Once again let me say what a joy it is to belong to
> this group and to
> see so many breathtaking plants on display in
> member's photographs.  As
> some of the memembers may recall i inherited some of
> my late parents
> collection and as they are about to bloom, i was
> wondering IF there
> exists a Central Database of Bearded Irises on the
> Internet, that i
> could log onto and compare my flowers with those
> named by other members.
> I dont mind how many links i get as long as we can
> cover the plants i
> have thriving here.  Best wishes to all.
> Jonathan

Yahoo! Groups Links