seedlings this year

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] seedlings this year
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:21:56 -0500

I'm pretty pleased.  If any of you remember the rocks dug here that I posted
earlier, you can understand why.  On top of that, these seedlings resented
being transplanted more than any others I've planted.  Before they decided
to grow they were flattened by a major hail and, frankly, nearly all of them
looked pretty doubtful at that point.  But of 63 seedlings planted, 62 are
still there with just one never to be seen again after the hail.  Four are
non-starters, but the rest have grown from acceptable to really well.  47 of
them have increase at this point.  Unfortunately, this is the single bright
spot here.  Nothing else is doing well and losses are likely going to be
high.  Even the native oak trees never recovered from the hail.  I've only
mowed twice this year.  The crabgrass by these seedlings is all that is
managing to grow and three minutes with the weedeater keeps it down.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image