Re: seedlings this year

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: seedlings this year
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:45:08 -0000

> Congratulations, Donald.

Thanks, Francelle.
> It looks as though your work in that bed has really paid off.  I'm
> really concerned about that drought in central Texas though.  It's
> hotter in Dallas this week than in Phoenix.

Yes, in spite of everything.  I read where 60% of the continental
states were suffering drought conditions.  It seems that it is
really bad in the Dakotas and much of Missouri, with severe crop
damage throughout the grain-growing states.  We reached 106
yesterday - typical of what we've been having every day on my nob.
Where folks haven't had drought, per se, apparently they've
experienced strange weather.
> Be sure to send pictures of those seedlings when they bloom.

If I get to see the bloom.  The last few years the weather patterns
that seems to be settling in as 'normal' have been excessively hot,
dry summers with an abrupt hard freeze marking the beginning of a
winter that's excessively mild producing lots of growing weather (if
the moisture is present) triggering bloom that gets zapped by a hard
freeze marring spring growth that turns hot and dry very quickly.  I
wonder if this isn't more pronounced in Zone 7, but is also the
trend otherwise.  Hopefully that pattern will improve....sometime.
Probably more than 75% of the seedlings last year tried to bloom,
but only two managed and those clumps lost stalks to the freeze.
Now the summer has taken a further toll.  Disappointing, but that's
the way of it.

Yahoo! Groups Links