Re: I hope this makes a pretty butterfly

  • Subject: Re: I hope this makes a pretty butterfly
  • From: Kate Brewitt <justonemoreiris@yahoo.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:31:36 -0400 (EDT)

I remember reading an article about this caterpillar many years ago.  The author, whose name has completely left my memory, mentioned that he always grew one tomato plant for this catapillar because the resulting moth/butterfly was so beautiful.
Might want to give it a try?!?
Aurora, ON zone 5b cdn

Ann Conway <amconway@telusplanet.net> wrote:
They make a very pretty moth... Pictures and info to follow!
The larvae (caterpillar) of the tomato hornworm are light or dark green, with a black horn at its rear, somewhere between 3? to 4? long when fully grown. They are very difficult to see, as they blend in with the local forage quite well. The caterpillars feed for about a month, and then drop to the ground and form a pupa to hibernate. These caterpillars can destroy your entire crop of tomatoes, and are a serious threat to your garden.

A large, rather spectacular sphinx moth, with a wingspan of four to five inches, usually with yellow and white markings, others with orange spots. It emerges from the ground in spring, lays a single egg on the undersides of leaves and soon dies. They are sometimes known as hummingbird or hawk moths because of their large size and the fact that they feed like a hummingbird. They normally fly only at twilight, which is why most gardeners don?t see them during the day. In northern climates, there is only one generation of moths, but in southern zones, two are more common.