Re: Anyone know about blackberry lilies?

  • Subject: Re: Anyone know about blackberry lilies?
  • From: cseggen1@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:03:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/16/2007 7:34:07 A.M. Central Daylight Time, rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:
.
Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=43451/grpspId=1707632694/msgId=39870/stime=1187267583/nc1=3848621/nc2=3848446/nc3=4776373
Thanks for your encouragement. I have had a blackberry lily before but it never multiplied on its own &  it died after 2 yrs (Nebraska zone 4+).  I got this one thru the master gardeners plant sale & it had 3 bloom stalks that all have seed pods.  Since I only had one, I was not sure if they would self pollinate or not.  These may be air pods, but each stalk has pods.  I am just hopeful there will  be some viable seeds & I might get a few more.  I have absolutely no plan  to do any hybridizing. Thanks for all your answers......in my soil, I will not have to worry about them taking over. The raised bed they are in is built with landscape timbers, only 3 high, so the soil is about 8 inches deep at best.  Where I live it is almost impossible to even buy a truckload of dirt let alone get good dirt.  Walmart is the only supplier of bagged soils so there is little hope there as well. The contents of all the bags I have gotten there all look pretty much the same.  I would like to have some actual compost.  Maybe santa will bring me a compost bin if I am a 'good girl'.  Lowes has a small one for about $99.  I will put it on my wish list.

Connie Eggen
Zone 5b
Warsaw, MO

__._,_.___