RE: Re: LA iris photos

  • Subject: RE: Re: LA iris photos
  • From: "laura berenson" <lsberenson@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:30:00 -0500

Hello all - have been reading but not posting since my first intro post or so. Too new to irises to have much to contribute (other than my admiration for all the stunning photos), but on this topic, I can add something from my own experience. I had Black Gamecock in a small, artificial pond for years (one of those plastic things). I probably started with one or two pieces and, by the time I moved (and inadvertently forgot to take a single piece of that iris, darn it!), I'd a huge clump of it. The thing is, that pond was quite small, and therefore quite shallow -- I'm guessing maybe a foot deep, maybe a little more, at its deepest point. In the winter, it would often freeze solid. So, Anja, I think that you should be able to grow that one, and undoubtedly others as well.

Laura Berenson
Pipersville, PA (about an hour north of Philadelphia; zone 6)