Re: Re: LA iris photos

  • Subject: Re: Re: LA iris photos
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:22:06 -0400

<<I will try to buy some LA irises and see how they grow for me. >>

Anja, I'll add my bit since I'm living in a 6b location. I think the
key to growing LA well is location.

Several years ago, I planted 6 Lousiana, including Rhett. They grew in
wild abandon, totally taking over their part of the world. They were a
deligful vision just after TB season. I had one that was a beautiful
cornflower blue, a color I've never seen in TB's. This spot was flat
but received drainage from most of my two acres, and received shade in
both early morning and late afternoon.

When I moved out here, less than five miles from that earlier garden, I
planted a different batch of LA. My entire garden is a gently sloping
hill side facing south, with no shade. I planted the LA in the ditch
that was created by the plow when the garden was originally created. A
few are still alive, but none have flourished or bloomed.

In both cases, the LA irises were pretty much neglected (forgotten)
once planted. All of my energy went in a different direction.

I hope this is helpful.

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris Garden
South Central KY Zone 6.