Re: Digest Number 5285

  • Subject: Re: Digest Number 5285
  • From: "Christy Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:09:20 -0700

Hi Patti,

These are bearded irises? I'm in a zone 4 and have always planted bearded iris seeds directly in the nursery bed just before the ground freezes about 1" deep. Nature takes care of the chilling and soaking over the winter and, depending on parentage, about 1/2 come up the following year around May. (Our soil is primarily sandy to sandy loam.)

Not all seeds will germinate the first year. Some need at least 2 rounds of freezing and thawing to break dormancy and I've had a few that germinated 8 years after sowing.

Christy Hensler