Re: OT: digital camera

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: OT: digital camera
  • From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:08:39 -0400

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Nancy asks...

>I am looking at a Panasonic Palm Cam PVDC 2090 which requires IEEEU Data
>Port.  >Neither photo shop nor the computer outlet can tell me if IEEEU is
>equivalent >to IEEE 1394:

Sorry, no.

1394 is FireWire -- high end, very fast, elegant, foolproof.

>or equivalent to USB:

Again, no.

IEEEU Data Port is a serial connection, old technology. The PV-DC2090 comes
with that and doesn't even include a Mac cable. To go USB from serial
requires a conversion board or dongle depending whether you have PCI slots
or have to put up with an external device.

There is a CompactFlash media or SmartMedia card to USB conversion box also
a USB CameraMate converter that will go from CF/SM cards to the USB port.
The PVDC 2090 has two CompactFlash memory card slots.

May be better to go with a USB compliant camera in the first place,
although anything except Firewire and Ultra SCSI or Fast/Wide SCSI will tie
up the computer for up to a half hour while downloading pix, size dependent
of course.

ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
For details and to order, go to: