Re: OT: digital camera

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT: digital camera
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 20:53:13 -0700

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

flags@pld.com wrote:
> From: flags@pld.com
> I am considering a purchase of a digital camera.  I need to know more information - advantages and disadvantages - that sort of stuff.  I want a hardware device which is made to be used spedifically with USB (Universal Serial Bus).  Manual tells me that although IEEE 1394 are similar technologies, I cannot interchange IEEE1394 connections with USB connections.  I am looking at a Panasonic Palm Cam PVDC 2090 which requires IEEEU Data Port.  Neither photo shop nor the computer outlet can tell me if IEEEU is equivalent to IEEE 1394 or equivalent to USB.  I sure would appreciate input.  thanks

I saw Dana's post before I saw your post.

I don't know about the compatibility of IEEEU ports, but I would suggest you
go to the Panasonic web site find the camera section and post a question to
their support group. I have had good luck with that process with other issues.

Secondly: The thing I don't like about cameras like you have mentioned is that
you  have to carry the computer on the trip with you to download the storage
media when it gets full. Joanne and I took over 400 pictures at the AIS
National convention and 250 at a wedding on the fourth of July. We just kept
changing floppy disks and taking pictures. You can't do that with the other
memory technologies used to store the pictures. Depending on the resolution
and compression you use, you can get anywhere from 1 picture (high resolution,
large format, no compression) to 40 pictures (low resolution, smaller format,
high compression) per floppy.

The Mavica series are great cameras.

I also think there are a number of bus converter devices these days for USB to whatever.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

Congrats to our GROW TO GIVE winners, ZENtertainment & ROTInews!
Check out ONElist's latest program, FRIENDS & FAMILY.  See homepage.