Re: TB: Heartbreak Hotel #2

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Heartbreak Hotel #2
  • From: Chris Darlington <chris.darlington@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:25:33 -0400

From: Chris Darlington <chris.darlington@sympatico.ca>

Side view for me all the way , Mike . This view really shows how unusual
an SA can be.  I also like the shorter choice of focal length , it gives
a more three dimensional effect.  Many of the photos in your catalogue
are highly compressed as if shot through a 200mm telephoto lens.  This,
in my opinion, does not do justice to a tripy looking Space Age iris.

One of the assignments we covered in photo school was to take three
shots of the same subject or object with three different lenses.  First
with a wide angle like a 28mm, second with a normal lens like a 50mm ,
and finally with a long lense like a 200mm while keeping the same
framing.  The the different effects from different focal lengths can
really give a photographer more control as to how he or she wants to
present the subject matter.

Basically what I'm getting at is that ,  not only do I like the side
shot , I also prefer the added distortion from getting close up with a
shorter lense.  A flower looks very much like this when your get down on
your hands and knees to examine it for the first time.  I love it !

Of course , all of this is my own two cents , others will disagree with

In Montreal where it's very hot again after a cold spell.

> Mike Sutton wrote:
> Here is #2 of HEARTBREAK HOTEL.
>                   Name: hb22.JPG
>    hb22.JPG       Type: JPEG Image (image/jpeg)
>               Encoding: base64

ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
For details and to order, go to: