Re: Belamcanda chinensis

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Belamcanda chinensis
  • From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:49:12 -0400

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>     I love Blackberry Lilies too.  Mine are almost finished blooming now,
>but they have been blooming since the beginning of June.  They can reach up
>to 55" here.

Mine are just barely over 2 ft. tall.  But I have them in pots, so maybe
that has stunted their growth.

>> They are not forming bee pods.  The "ovaries" are dropping off with the
>> flowers, which tells me the bees are not interested in pollenating these
>> things.
>     There must be something else involved in this.  They did readily form
>bee pods in Lexington, KY and have done so here.  Last year, some insect
>destroyed the pod crop, which was not as heavy as this year.  So, I still
>don't know if I will have seeds to harvest.  Are you under any watering

They are getting plenty of water.  I have never seen a single insect on the
flowers.  I really think that's why they're not setting seed!  I don't care
though, I've got 2000+ iris seeds to worry about as it is.  I don't need

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

Your anytime, anywhere sports store. Fogdog Sports.