[PHOTO] HYB: CHUBBY CHEEKS AND SIBLINGS | Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:58:53" />

[PHOTO] HYB: CHUBBY CHEEKS AND SIBLINGS

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: CHUBBY CHEEKS AND SIBLINGS
  • From: PAUL BLACK <midamerg@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:59:54 -0800

Here is a miserable picture of Chubby Cheeks and several of the
siblings.  It is pretty sad that I don't have a decent picture of
probably my most important iris.  Chubby Cheeks has a grayish band with
the plicata marks inside.  It is pretty easy to see the effect that
varying amounts of anthocyanin have in conjunction with the yellow
banding of Soft Air.  The banding is also present in the standards.
Even at this early stage, you can begin to see the emergence of the blue
with pink banding that you are talking about. These bloomed in 1982.
This will soon be a reality with several people working on it.  I think
Mike Sutton has one in the works that I saw a slide of at one of
George's presentations.  In my work, the color is there, but not with
form that makes it introduceable.  I think this pattern is emerging from
several different lines as is often the case.  Before he died, Monty
Byers had a stunning SDB with white ground and clear yellow band and
very blue plicata marks inside it.  It was from Chubby.  I don't know
what happened to it.  It had the form of Chubby Cheeks  with this
incredible coloring.  I may have a slide of it, but locating it is
another matter.  I hope that all this helps explain where some of this
patterning is coming from.
Paul
eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/503733/_/976849119/