Re: HYB: CHUBBY CHEEKS AND SIBLINGS

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: CHUBBY CHEEKS AND SIBLINGS
  • From: "Paul Black" <midamerg@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:50:30 -0000

Hi Patricia,

It really is a lot of fun to photograph the parents you are using in
particular cross.  Later you can go back and see some of the
particular characteristics of that variety that your mind may have
forgotten.  It is also fun to do the "family photo album" (pictures
at
least of the more interesting offspring) for all your friends and
family to see - and especially us.  HAVE FUN!

--- In iris-photos@egroups.com, "Patricia Brooks"
<patriciabrooks@c...> wrote:
> What a wonderful series, Paul.  I hope to have a little family to
show for my efforts someday.

> Patricia Brooks

> From: PAUL BLACK <midamerg@e...>
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:59:54 -0800
>
> >Here is a miserable picture of Chubby Cheeks and several of the
> >siblings.  It is pretty sad that I don't have a decent picture of
> >probably my most important iris.  Chubby Cheeks has a grayish band
with
> >the plicata marks inside.  It is pretty easy to see the effect that
> >varying amounts of anthocyanin have in conjunction with the yellow
> >banding of Soft Air.  The banding is also present in the standards.
> >Even at this early stage, you can begin to see the emergence of
the
blue
> >with pink banding that you are talking about. These bloomed in
1982.
> >This will soon be a reality with several people working on it.  I
think
> >Mike Sutton has one in the works that I saw a slide of at one of
> >George's presentations.  In my work, the color is there, but not
with
> >form that makes it introduceable.  I think this pattern is
emerging
from
> >several different lines as is often the case.  Before he died,
Monty
> >Byers had a stunning SDB with white ground and clear yellow band
and
> >very blue plicata marks inside it.  It was from Chubby.  I don't
know
> >what happened to it.  It had the form of Chubby Cheeks  with this
> >incredible coloring.  I may have a slide of it, but locating it is
> >another matter.  I hope that all this helps explain where some of
this
> >patterning is coming from.
> >Paul

eGroups eLerts