Re: HYB: Luminatas - SOFT AIR

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Luminatas - SOFT AIR
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:50:22 -0000

> Hi Chuck,  The cross giving Chubby Cheeks yielded either olive
> blended
> seedlings like the one in the picture or plicatas.  Soft Air breeds
> as
> a plicata and not a glaciata.  As I said in the talk discussion, it
> appears to me to be a glaciata except that it does have those few
> plicata marks in the heart.  Oh, the mystery of hybridizing.  Chubby
> does yield some striped seedlings and also some recessive white or
> white glaciatas if you will.  I have always been intrigued with the
> recessive whites, but they have never had the quality that would
> allow
> them to be introduced.  It would be great if you have time and
> inclination to work out the Punnett square distributions.  Like
> everyone else, you have plenty to occupy your time, so don't feel
> obliged to get right on this.  It is
> strange that I am still finding things to do with Chubby Cheeks
after
> all this time.  New ideas keep popping into mind that I hadn't
> thought
> of previously and since CC usually gives nice form and substance in
> breeding, I figure, why not?
>
> Paul Black
> Salem Oregon
> Zone 8B

I just realized I can't work out the Punnett square as I don't know
the genotype of pod parent of CC. Could you give a description of it?
What crosses have you used with Soft Air? Then I could do a Punnett
square. They don't take too long once you get the hang of it. Genotype
(how it is composed genetically) is not always the same as phenotype (
how it looks. Thus when I'm describing an iris as eg: a luminata, it
is because it is genotype luminata ie: plu plu pla pla, that is two
luminata genes and two glaciata genes.
I can't see the plic haft markings with Soft Air in the posted photo.
Are they definatly violet (anthocyanin) or could they be the olive
veining that I seem to get with the "Ring" factor?

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/503733/_/976938628/