[PHOTO] RE: HYB - UMBATA | Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:11:18" />

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] RE: HYB - UMBATA
  • From: PAUL BLACK <midamerg@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:11:17 -0800

This is probably a very involved, interactive pattern.  Some of the more
recent, distinctive work comes from Barry Blyth's lines which go back to
Peach Spot and further back to Snow Peach.  There are also the patterns
like Joyce Terry with the more defined banding.  A further addition
would be the plicata bands.  The tall bearded gene pool is so mixed at
this point that it will take a lot of sorting to figure out what the
origins of these patterns are and how they relate to each other and to
other modifiers.  Barry Blyth's Copatonic is a really good example of
one of the phenotypic expressions of this pattern.  I'm attaching a
picture of H93A which is also a good example of an amoena type
expression.  Tom Johnson is one of the parents and Tom is directly from
Barry Blyth's bicolor line.  There are so many influences on this type
pattern that I am sure there are no easy answers.  When I use patterns
of this type, I approach it more from the vantage point of what happens
if I add more anthocyanin or add the carotenoid pigments or flavones.
Of course, what happens with the interaction of these is still only a
guess.  All those unknowns is what makes it fun - and frustrating.

Paul Black
Zone 8 Salem, Oregon

JPEG image