Re: HYB - UMBATA

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB - UMBATA
  • From: "Paul Black" <midamerg@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:46:03 -0000

Hi Chad,
This is also a new term for me.  It is a term that evidently came
about in some of the earlier iris talk discussions.  My first
encounter with it was a message from Linda Mann.  Linda, maybe you can
cue us as to its origin.  I think it is one of those tentative
descriptions given to a pattern to help aid in making the discussion
easier.

Paul Black
Zone 8  Salem, Oregon

--- In iris-photos@egroups.com, Chad Schroter <chad.schroter@q...>
wrote:
> 	This is a new term for me, "Umbata"...  I ordered something
from
> Barry called 'Touch of Mahogany', it is out of Copatonic. T.O.M.
shows this
> same pattern and color (coffee brown with a bold burgundy center on
the
> falls) as Copatonic, however there is also a spot or flush in the
center of
> the Falls which is pale violet. There is no 'blending' of the
burgundy and
> violet either. My guess is that a gene has suppressed all pigments
in the
> center fall spot area except for the pale violet (anthocyanin?) -
meaning
> the burgundy area is a combination of pale violet and some
carotenoids ?

> Chad Schroter
> Los Gatos CA Zone 9

frustrating.