  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB - UMBRATA
  • From: "Paul Black" <midamerg@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 01:13:17 -0000

Hi Chad,
Here I am with foot in mouth again.  I reread Linda's letter #24631
talk group and she says "jokingly" referred to the pattern as
"UMBRATA" and not UMBATA as I wrote.  Without wading back through the
archives to figure out why this designation came about, it does seem
like it was a term to lesten the description of such patterns.  It
seems this is the way pattern names get started.  I won't carry that
any futher.  There are so many variations of this sort of patterning.
 Some have a very confined, distinct band as does Copatonic and then
to the very shaded sorts such as Honky Tonk Blues.  No, I'm not
suggesting that they are the same pattern and for sure probably not
controlled by the same genetics.

Just as a side note.  Quite a few have suggested that Honky Tonk
derives from the plicata pattern.  I am one of them that thinks that
this is at least part of the derivation.  I made a lengthy cross of
HTB X plicata to see what the proportions of plicatas to blends to
self turns out to be.

You do get a wide variation in expressed colors with the addition of
increasing amounts of anthocyanin and carotenoid pigments. The
variation is infinite as you would expect. From what I have seen, the
band doesn't necessarily have to echo the standards color.  There are
examples in Bryce Williamson's work where the standards are pink and
the falls white with amber to apricot bands.  O.Brown's older Bold
Accent had gold standards, purple falls with plum band.  The
have little to no anthocyanin.  The falls are purple with a band
probably close to the standards color imposed on the purple which
creates the visual effect of plum.  If Tom Johnson and Copatonic were
combined, I would expect a rather wide assortment of violet, blue,
purple tones on through the brown to wine tones of Copatonic with a
high proportion of red/orange beards.

In order to adequately assess these types of patterns, someone would
have to sort through and figure out what the variations are and which
ones seem to be genetically linked.  From here, someone could begin
trace back into history and try to figure out the sources for these
varying patterns and whether they have a similar heritage or really
divergent backgrounds.  As I hinted at before, the TB gene pool has
become so mixed that it is becoming incresingly harder to trace a
particular pattern back to a single source.  There are too many
interactions that have taken place along the way.

Paul Black
Zone 8  Raining in Salem, Oregon

--- In iris-photos@egroups.com, Chad Schroter <chad.schroter@q...>

Click here for more details: