  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: IB
  • From: PAUL BLACK <midamerg@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:37:49 -0800

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the pictures of the dark blue amoena and horned seedling.
I'd be happy not only with the shot of the horned one, but also the
flower as it is presented in the picture.  Really pretty form.  The
horned IB looks nice to and will be a great hit if it will rebloom in
the more northerly climates.  I saw the slides of the pink SDBs with
dark blue beards out of Sigh that George showed in one of his programs.
I am amazed that you are able to use Sigh to advantage there.  In
Oklahoma it tended to bloom a bit heavy as did Azure Gem, which was one
of its parents.  Your climate there is similar enough to Oklahoma that I
would have expected the same performance or in this case over
performance.  I avoided using it much for that reason.  With what you
are getting from it, I may consider going back and using it a bit more.

One of the finest reblooming IBs we grow is Lowell Baumunk's, Midsummer
Night's Dream.  It is total quality.  It grows easily, has beautiful,
smooth, well-formed dark purple flowers, and reblooms faithfully and
quite early here.  The earlier rebloom is probably not a plus in hotter,
southern climates.

Paul Black
Zone 8  Still raining in Salem, Oregon

eGroups eLerts