[PHOTO] Re: RE: IB | Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:17:48" />

[PHOTO] Re: RE: IB

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] RE: IB
  • From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:57:20 -0800

Hi Paul,
I would doubt the horned IB will re-bloom in colder climates based on its
parentage, but you never know........Sigh does OK here with a tendency to
bloom heavy but not so much that it blooms out.  Its children don't seem to
carry that trait with them, at least not for us.  That pink with the deep
dark blue beard will be out next year under the name Bijou.  That was a
somewhat unexpected result of (Sigh x Chanted) X Little Blue Eyes, George is
pretty excited about it.  Midsummer Nights Dream grows like a weed here and
blooms profusely.  However like many reblooming IBs from colder climates the
rebloom blooms struggle to get out of the foliage in the summer, does great
in the fall.  Love the picture of Logo did you take that picture?  One of
the first crosses I made was  (please forgive me) Logo X Thornbird.  I had
no idea that Logo was an IB at the time but a pod set and I was hooked on
hybridizing.  I can't begin to describe the results of that cross but it's a
good thing I wasn't easily discouraged.  Your seedlings are really getting
exciting, makes me even more impatient for spring.  Here is another Sigh
offspring, sibling to the horned IB, reblooms late in the year with no horns
in fall but horns in spring....go figure.
Thanks for the in-depth info and great pics.
Mike Sutton
Porterville, CA USA
USDA zone 8b - send some of that rain this way!