Re: Image Permission

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Image Permission
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:33:51 EST

In a message dated 12/9/2002 1:15:58 PM Central Standard Time, jfrizzell@tbr.state.tn.us writes:

A couple of weeks ago I posted a message about the new picture show I put on
my website. I did use some photos that had been posted on Iris Photos and
put a link to the group from my web page, but apparently that is not enough.

John must've received some negative feedback about my use of the photos. So
if I have used anyone's photos in my picture show please send an email to
janice@tnstateirisgarden.com and either give me permission to use the photo
or ask me to remove it.

Janice,
I'm offended. I don't recall seeing a single one of my photos when I surfed your site. <big grin>. You force me to redouble my efforts to improve my photography skills. While some egos may be offended by use of photos without giving them credit, my ego is stroked when you choose one of mine to publish. Just don't tell anyone who took it.

On a more serious note, there is a body of thought that suggest web photos are in the public domain unless they contain a copyright (c) designation or are a registered trademark (TM) seal. My personal opinion and actions are in this camp. I willingly share my photos (and plants) with all who find use for them. In circumstances where I am unwilling to do so, I will provide a copyright designation on the images. Should I want to restrict the propagation of a cultivar I'll patent the plant.

Copyright laws are antiquated at best. They were conceived and enacted at a time in history when great financial risks were encountered if one chose to publish a work. These risks were due to the high printing cost associated with volume printing runs. Modern technology has overcome these limitations. Legislation has not kept up. As is often the case, some (many) corrupt the intent of the existing laws for their own self interest rather than observe the law in a sane and practical way.

Opinionated smiles,
Bill Burleson