Re: using other people's photos

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: using other people's photos
  • From: laurief laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 02 12:26:47 -0600

>I don't know what others might think, but to me, it seems inappropriate to
use other
>people's photos without their specific permission and without crediting the

I couldn't agree more!  The only photos anyone has any right to publish
are those owned by the publisher or for which the publisher has acquired
written permission from the owner.  Personally, I have no problem with
folks who download my photos for their own personal use and records, but
I DO have a problem with people who publish my photos in any format
without my permission, especially if they do so on a commercial website
to promote their own commercial sales.  I am quite happy to sell
publication rights to commercial entities who want to use my photos to
market their irises, but I'm not inclined to give away my work to
increase someone else's profits.

>Janice, my browser software isn't recent enough to access your slide show,
but I suggest
>you yank it and add credits to each photo you've borrowed

Better yet, yank it and remove all photos not owned by you until and
unless you have acquired written permission from the owners of the photos
you wish to use.

USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN
clay soil