[PHOTO] Re: Not who but what? | Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:57:19" />

[PHOTO] Re: Not who but what?

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Not who but what?
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:57:07 EST

In a message dated 12/13/2002 6:43:07 AM Central Standard Time, hensler@povn.com writes:

Hi Bill,

Do you have any close-up photos?

>From this distance it looks like ya got y'rself a Siberian iris. Probably
not species but an escaped 28-chrom hybrid.

Christy

Usually self pollinates. Produces two seed capsules at the top of stalk. Often produces a bloom about six inches below the two at the top. Rarely produces seed on the lower third bloom. I have never successfully germinated seed. But then I only tried once by stomping them in wet ground in July I think. Stalks are about 30" tall here. Seed capsules behave as if they are designed to hold seed in a manner that cycles them through periods of wet/chilling to dry/warming several times until finally dropped to ground in late winter early spring.

Siberian seed germination techniques appreciated.

Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society

JPEG image