Re: Controls

In a message dated 12/1/2003 3:54:29 PM Central Standard Time, fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net writes:

I have some red hot chilies that I might use in the same way.  I have dogs that need controlled.

My cat problem here is them takin' care of cat business in the more sandy beds. My dog problem is their desire to dig cool holes lay in those same beds.

I let the peppers dry, run them through a blender to chop into flakes and scatter the result over the bed. It is possible any hot pepper would work. These have. I have not had a problem since doing so. Nor have I had problems with a litter of puppies pulling up the plastic tags I stick adjacent to each rhizomes. This too, was once a problem.

I was having a problem with snails and slugs attacking iris seedlings in 3 gal pots. I placed several of these peppers ( dried and crumbled by hand, and some whole) in one pot and and left one unprotected as a control. Each pot started with six seedlings. Only one survived in the control pot without peppers, five still survive in the pot with the Perin peppers. I expect any hot pepper might produce the same results in this case also but do not know.

I use the Perin peppers because that is what my neighbor, Perin, grows and he has been generous with his excess. Plus I smile each time I think about their strange growth habit for peppers. They stick streight up like my hair did when I had more.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson 7a/b

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor