Re: sports

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] sports
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 04:10:21 -0800 (PST)

Generally a sport is a mutation probably of only a single gene that occurs on a vegetatively growing plant. It usually is noted for a change in color. a Registered Cultivar is defined by its description. therefore a sport would be a new cultivar. There are many examples of registered sports. 'Madonna' for example is a purple Iris albicans. An interesting controversy is can you recreate a cultivar. The international code says, yes. Any plant meeting the description of a particular cultivar is can be considered that cultivar. Maybe this should make us pause, to write really good descriptions. The some descriptions that just say blue self could fit an awful lot of Irises.

Arilpums <arilpums@comcast.net> wrote:
Thanks Bob. I am not used to checking the Signa Cklist but will remember to do so from now on. I only wanted to stipulate that it did not appear where I mentioned because it had never been registered. If it is a sport, how does one treat it in classifying it. What is a sport effectively? Have there been other sports and how were they treated in the realm of registrations? Can someone throw light on this?

Francesca