Re: Three SDBs Again

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Three SDBs Again
  • From: Thomas Abney papatoms2@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:24:01 -0800 (PST)

Francesca,

The stands are Paw Paw type E. I do these labels on a Brother PT-2300 label maker with one inch wide black on white tape. It came with software and and has an USB link to my computer and uses my iris MS Access 2000 database. From the Brother web sight I downloaded the file to use Access 2000 rather than the Access 97 that it came set up for. If I recall correct, the Brother software has its own database program and you have to tell it to link to the Access database. There are some hoops you have to jump through to resize the different lines and keep lettering in the printable zone but I feel the final result is worth it. I set the size to 3 1/4 inch regardless of the print area covered because it gives a cleaner look. A couple of things to watch for are, information that is too long for the printable area and running out of tape before your printing is done. Before printing I check on screen every label to see if it is too long for the printable area. The few that are too long I skip (Ctrl key) during the main printing. I then go back and re-size the font and print the others. When you are running out of tape there is black lines that show up. Check the last label printed, add new tape and select the others to be printed and print again. Another special note. If you print the labels one at a time (By computer or by hand) set at 3 1/4 inch the labeler will waste one inch of tape, every label. That is my main discontent with this labeler. So print as many as you can in one computer print command. The tape can be purchased on line for about $15.00 each and will do 100+ labels if all are done in one command. The Brother tape stands up better outside than any other our iris society knows of at this time. By the way the PT-2300 goes on sale at many of the office supply stores from time to time for around $80.00. They have a later model PT-2600 out now but I don't know what all it does. I got my PT-2300 for $100.00 last year. I just use the batteries without the AC adapter. I have printed many hundreds of labels and only changed batteries one time.

I hope you have a great day and happy hybridizing,

Tom Abney
Town of Ozark MO Zone 6a

Arilpums <arilpums@comcast.net> wrote:
Tom, I like your photos of the SDBs. Jump Back really is noticeable!
How do you make your labels and how long do they stay on the marker? They are quite good looking.

Francesca (California, S.F. Bay Area)

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor