Re: Sheriffa

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Sheriffa
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:47:03 -0500

I realize that the 1949 Check List says "(oncobred)" in C. G. White's 1941 entry, but is Sheriffa not from a regelia cross rather than oncocyclus?  From its appearance it suggests *Iris stolonifera* coloring.  If *stolonifera* is one of the parents the hybrid would be an arilbred, more specifically a "regeliabred."
It may be important to realize our current terminology dates from much later than 1941.  The language we use now to describe aril hybrids is quite recent in its development.
Neil Mogensen z 7 western NC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor