Re: Re: Sheriffa

  • Subject: Re:[iris-photos] Re: Sheriffa
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:45:06 -0500

I went back to the May post of Donald's photo of Sheriffa.  I had forgotten how beautiful it is.  I did grow it at one time and enjoyed it a lot.
The chromosome count of 47 does rather suggest 11-12-12-12, which is what a second-generation regelia-bred could be expected to have.
An OGB- would tend to lose the long metacentric of the regelia genome, I would think,  unless the aril parent were a tetraploid 10-10-11-11, in which case a hybrid with a TB would ordinarily yield something less than 47 chromosomes.  Such a hybrid would have something more like 45 or 44, depending on the status of the aril parent as a first generation or advanced generation RC or OG hybrid.  I believe I recall seeing 44 chromosomes as the norm for the C. G. White amphidiploids.  Is that correct?
In the Cytogenetics "Readings and Conference" I did just for fun in a semester I took after my BA degree in another, unrelated field was finished I prepared serial sections from the root tip of SWEET HOOGIE, blue-bearded regeliabred from (Blue Shimmer x Mel Suiter's (Sun Lakes x *hoogiana*)).  The long metacentric of *hoogiana* was definitely present and longer than the long metacentric in the Eupogon genome.  It also had 47 chromosomes as near as I could tell--I found the counting quite difficult as it required shifting the focus up and down on the strongest microscope setting I had available.  The smallest chromosomes were more difficult to distinguish.  The depth of field was very limited. The chomosomes with satellites were faintly identifiable but the image was not so clear as to make them obvious.  The large metacentrics were easier to identify.
Sweet Hoogie was as sterile as it could be.  I'm curious about Sheriffa.  Did/does it show any fertility at all?
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here