Re: Re: Sheriffa

  • Subject: Re:[iris-photos] Re: Sheriffa
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:32:58 -0000

>I believe I recall seeing 44 chromosomes as the norm for the C. G.
>White amphidiploids.  Is that correct?

I believe so, yes.  And for most modern OGB type amphdiploids.
> Sweet Hoogie was as sterile as it could be.  I'm curious about
Sheriffa.  Did/does it show any fertility at all?

I've never seen any reference to it's having fertility via either
seeds or pods, and I don't believe it is listed in the ancestry of
any registered iris.  I would guess it is generally sterile.  On the
other hand, I don't know how often attempts have been made to use it
as a parent.  Difficult and rare are not the same thing as never.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA