RE: iris fertilization

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] iris fertilization
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:32:47 -0800

Well aged (20 years) manure can be used with bearded irises but a friend and
my experience with less than well aged (4 years) manure lead to massive soft
rot. I planted 2 rows that had massive soft rot where I had stored the fresh
stable cleanings for 4 to 6 years before planting the irises. Two rows
immediately east of the rot rows were free of the aged manure and were rot
free. I solar sterilized the rot rows and have not had a problem since.

The friends experience was slightly difference. She had used the 20 year old
manure for several years with no problems. When the older manure was used
up, her husband got newer material and then she had massive rot. My
recommendation is to avoid manure altogether. If you do use manure, start
slow and limited until you develop some experience with the material that
you use.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road