Re: Reds/Photo TB:seedling -Griff

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Reds/Photo TB:seedling -Griff
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:44:01 -0700

Hi Griff - -

I have read the article(s) in the recent AIS bulletins on reds (by Spoon,  the one by Ernst, and the one by Aiken).  I find all that they have to say is intriguing, informative, yet speculative. I believe you, me, Linda, Patrick, Mike, Neil, Walter, and so many others out there, anyone of us has the capability of coming up with a true red iris.  Be it through the use of 1.)  genetic information, through 2.) a God-given talent using our imagination, intuition, and the art of the "seeing eye", through 3.) just pure accidental luck, or a combination of any or all of the above. :-)

This red seedling of mine  -  comes out of Vanity.  The other parent is - wouldn't you know it -- unknown.  The seeds from this cross were made years ago - - before I moved out here to Oro Valley.  Unfortunately - most of my paperwork was lost in the move.  Seeds in the envelopes listed only the Pod parent  - so I could later track the cross.

At the time - - all I had were older varieties in the yard.  I guess I'm not much help - - but maybe something in Vanity may hold a key.

Maybe someone could dig into Vanity's past and let us know what they have found.

Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9
IrisLady@comcast.net